Fashion CommunicationMajor study: Fashion Communication Start date: October 2014 | Duration: 36 | Language: English
Fashion Communication speaks many languages, sends Tweets and Facebook messages. Globalization has brought new and unexpected opportunities for exchange of visions, styles and blogs. New professional figures and new fashion instigators are needed to promote and change the fashion system from within, click by click.
The three-year undergraduate program in Fashion Communication is structured with a post-geographical world in mind but contextualized within the Tuscan Fashion system with its traditions and fame for high quality, craftsmanship and luxurious products. I.e. Fendi, Ferragamo, Pucci, Gucci, Prada, and many others are creating their products here, giving students in Florence a distinct advantage of accessibility to the fashion world.
The program is structured with the partnership of LuisaViaRoma and offers an internship
Professional profiles include: Press Office Manager, Public Relations Manager, Brand Manager, New Media Communicator, Blogger, Social Media Manager, Fashion Event Manager, Communication Manager, Curator of Fashion exhibitions.
The purpose of the course in Fashion Communication is to prepare professional communicators to specialise in fashion. Students are taught the skills and the methods used to develop and produce events organised for the fashion industry. The topics covered include all the phases of the communication process (fashion communication, fashion writing and editing, advertising and web communications), designing and managing events, PR and the press office, for the purpose of achieving an effective transmission of the brand, its values and its philosophy.
The course trains young professionals to be capable of conceiving and managing integrated promotion strategies, seeking out external relations with other industry operatives, monitoring advertising campaigns, looking after media relations and organising events and catwalk shows.
The first year is devoted to providing students with the basic skills they need for adopting a strategic design approach to the area of communications for fashion. In addition to familiarising with the fundamentals of cultural and technical knowledge, students also learn how to apply correct design methods, starting with an analysis of the market and of the fashion product and the definition of the identity of the recipient of the communications, then working through to the completion of a communications plan coherent with the skills thus acquired.
The second year focuses on developing the skills necessary for designing a communication plan for a brand or a firm, by learning and using traditional tools and developing on the theme of knowledge and analysis of strategic activities in the new media and the web. By implementing these cultural, technical and IT skills, students learn how to read and understand fashion as a complex system of signs and trends, so as to suggest their own vision of it and a personal storytelling, both organised coherently in projects.
In the third year, the course concentrates on strengthening students’ skills so as to hone their design abilities and cultural knowledge, ensuring that they are based on the ability to act independently, maintaining a critical approach and focusing on innovation and quality, all skills that help them break into the working world. By developing their studies of the industry’s more innovative channels and means of communication and articulated design approaches, students learn to elaborate and develop an idea of interpretation and of a storyboard for the contemporary fashion system that culminates in building an original overall vision for it.
IED Florence partners with a network of corporate contacts working in the fashion industry and located all over the city and its district, so as to maximise its links with local industry and craftsmen, cater optimally to the industry’s needs and apply the knowledge and skills acquired. In particular, the course is conducted in partnership with Luisaviaroma.com.
- Communication And Advertising
- Prerequisites: Fashion Communication, Communication basics or equivalent The role of advertising in communication strategies; study of types of advertisement, media and message and how they combine into cohesive communication for fashion companies and products.
- Digital Communication I
- The opportunities offered by new information technologies and communication have brought to a convergence of media of telecommunications and of information regarding fashion projects.
- Fashion Events
- The course will cover step by step how to organize a fashion event. We will analyze all the stakeholders that part of a complex net of interests involved in such events: the artists, press and media, sponsors, public institutions, general public, the team, etc.We will also cover an essential point on an organization event company: the human aspect- the people, it’s leadership, decision making, the team cohesion, etc.
- Fashion Marketing I
- The course offers the basics of marketing in both theoretical and technical terms. From theories and strategies to aid comprehension of commercial contexts to the role of advertising businesses in the establishment of a fashion brand.
- Semiotics For Fashion
- The course concentrates on clothing and its expressive and semiotic components, including how it is represented in different systems. Fashion is interpreted as a story regulated by a specific code that makes it different from every other phenomenon of communications.
- Trend Forecasting
- The study of trends and their origins and predictions; based on cultural and economic factors, participants study the colors, materials and styles that are upcoming and relevant to the renewal of fahion.
- Digital Project Management
- Prerequisites: Digital Communication I and II or equivalent. Examines projects as processes of effective communication strategies and interpersonal relations and identifies the new technologies useful to aiding the efficiency of the project at every step.
- Fashion Graphics
- The study graphic design with programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Keynote (Power Point) to enable students to make outstanding presentations, magazines, web graphics and documents to ensure that their ideas are adopted inside the fashion industry.
- The Italian Fashion System
- Prerequisites: Fashion History or equivalent. An overview of Italian Fashion through the analysis of the unique economic, social and style factors that create Made in Italy products. Company structures and Italian designers are studied and local companies visited.
- New Media Communication
- Prerequisites: Fashion Communication, Public Relations or equivalents. Methods and strategies for communicating a project using new and traditional media: recognizing the creative process (from conception to completion), choosing and organizing the information, interacting with the dialogue partner, studying the most effective communication model to adopt.
- New Media Management
- Prerequisites: Digital Communication I and II or equivalent. Deals with the application of technological tools and methodologies to the artistic production of aesthetics for fashion, including fields such as event planning, installations, videos and all communicative expressions that deal with transversal forms of communications.
- Visual Language
- Introduction to aesthetics; an historical and critical analysis of the most important modern and contemporary artistic and fashion movements, in relation to the development of society and of culture.
- Visual Merchandising
- Visual Merchandising is a tool to communicate the company’s values through the proper use of the store’s design, fixtures and lighting, and of the displays and decorative techniques. This course will investigate all this fields and will explain the role of a visual merchandiser in any retail operation.
- Fashion Writing
The language of fashion journalism. Differences in the composition and use of articles, interviews, press releases, agency news releases, texts for catalogues, texts for the web. Importance of headlines and summaries. How the different media communicate: print media, web, television and blog. Communication of a press offi ce.
- Fashion Materials
- The course offers an analysis of the factors that contribute to the structure of a fashion collection: from the production of fabrics to the composition of a fashion product and the different elements that create it.
- Introduction To Fashion Communication
- Fashion Communication
- Developing some communication skills. Improving analytical and critical skills, towards the building up of a communication strategy. Getting more familiar with some working dynamics via case histories.
- Fashion History
- A synthesis of fashion through recent times to analyze how it is culturally percieved and promoted world-wide.
- History Of Fashion Photography
The greatest fashion photographers and their impact on aesthetic ideals. Their techniques and style of composition, influences and connections with the art world. Technical analysis of the main photographers’ styles.
- Fashion Styling And Shooting
- Prerequisites: History of Fashion Photography or equivalent. Style analysis and research, definition of total looks and use of professional photographic equipment to create a fashion shoot for an editorial, catalogue or company/product communication strategy.
- Social media marketing
- Communication And Advertising
Education: Fashion Institute of Technology, New York - La Sapienza University of Rome Experience: Coming from an international culture, Annaluisa Franco studied Fashion Design at Polimoda, Florence, and the Fashion Institute of Technology, New York. Her experience in Fashion brought her to collaborate with the Camera Nazionale della Moda in Milan and continue her studies at the University of Rome ?La Sapienza? in ?Sciences of Fashion and Costume?. She has then taught at the IUAV University of Venice, Academy of Luxury, Florence University of the Arts and and at the IED, Institute of European Design of both Rome and Florence. Courses taught: professor of Semiotics and the Sociology of Communications, Website:www.hipstercurves.com
Camilla Di Biagio
Education: Fashion Degree at IED Istituto Europeo di Design Experience:She began her career by organizing runway shows and following fashion events and theatrical productions as a costumer at the age of 17. After obtaining her diploma she starts collaborations with Roberta Papa and REDSTUDIO at the IED in Rome. Stefano Dominella, creative director and professor at the IED invites Camilla to work along side him in his atelier. The REDSTUDIO event organization also asks Camilla to be the Production director of the AltaRoma high fashion runway shows. Camilla specializes in Event organization and shooting production, particularly of fashion exhibits and runway shows both in Italy and abroad. Some of her collaborations include: STUDIO GALGANO, REDSTUDIO, AlTA ROMA, STEFANIA D'ALESSANDRO MAKE-UP, SERGIO VALENTE, PHILIP MORRIS ITALIA, YOU, MANDARINA DUCK and BULGARI. Courses taught: professor of Fashion Events and Visual Language and Creativity Technique, Events Organization, Styling. Website: http://www.myspace.com/360gradiproduzioni
Education:Architecture Degree from the Florence University and the Ecole d?Architetcture de Paris La Villette. Experience:From 2002 to 2008 she works at Archea Associates where she coordinates and develops exhibits and events. At the same time she coordinates the editorial aspects of the www.floornature.com architectural portal. From 2004 to 2008 she is part of the editorial staff of Area magazine. Her articles are published on several national and international magazines such as Area, Materia, d?Architettura, Progettare, Casa&design China, Recuperare l?Edilizia, City Project. Courses taught: professor of PR, Advertisement and Fashion. Website: http://www.republique.it/ ______________
Courses of Fashion in Florence
Three Year Courses IED
|Fashion Design - Shoes and accessories design Duration: Language: ITA Start date: 28-10-2014 Credits:||ITA||ENG|
|Fashion Communication Duration: Language: ENG Start date: 28-10-2014 Credits:||ITA||ENG|
|Fashion Events and Public Relations Duration: 12 months - Full Time Language: ENG Start date: 01-04-2014 Credits:||ITA||ENG|