Under the concept of New Skins, we address the use of textiles at different scales, which may be applied from the scale of the object, to the human body, to rooms or even an architectural façade.
This course responds to the current need in design to create increasingly interdisciplinary work teams. Throughout this master, you will learn about three key areas for achieving an advanced and up-to-date use of textiles in your projects.
In the first part of the master, you will explore the complex geometries and designs allowed by digital design and manufacturing. In the second part, you will learn to integrate smart behaviour to textiles through soft electronics and programming in order to complete the master learning about the most advanced contemporary materials, how to work with them and how to create new materials.
You will learn at the same time as you complete your projects through the Learning by doing methodology, together with the knowledge of the best international teachers and with the facilities of the Fab Lab IED Madrid, to which you will have free access throughout the day in order to perform your prototypes and experiments.
• Create new non-standardised specific solutions to particular problems.
• Gain a broad vision of current technology processes applied to textiles.
• Work on your designs with complex geometries and virtual simulations.
• Control a digital workflow in both the design and the production of your projects.
• Equip textiles with smart behaviours using soft electronics and programming.
• Make textiles interact with their immediate environment and the people who wear them.
• Ability to discretise new materials and create new materials.
• Designer specialised in textile innovation
• Design lead
• Consultant in textile innovation
• Process and Prototyping textile designer
• Textile creator
Dates and Schedule
October 2018 – July 2019
Mon to Fri, from 19:00 to 22:30 h; Friday from 19:00 to 22:30 h
Practical Classroom Schedule: Monday to Thursday, 2-3 afternoons from 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Workshop schedule: Saturday and Sunday, one weekend at month
Online Classes Schedule: Friday from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 10:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.