One Year in Fashion DesignStart date: January 2013 | Duration: 30 weeks | Language: English
The One Year Fashion Design program enables students to experiment and master the basic tools of design. Theoretical lessons are enhanced by creative workshops, visits to firms, trade fairs and industrial events and seminars with industry professionals as well as portfolio building and project work. The program highlights “Made in Italy” innovation, tradition and systems.
The Spring Building a Collection semester program is conceived and structured as a comprehensive overview of the Italian leaders in fashion and textile design: professionals, companies, trademarks, events and trade fairs connected with the world of style.
The objective of the “trend” semester is to deepen the student’s understanding of the “Italian design system” from the management and design methodology perspective. Course content and site visits focus on building a solid analytical and theoretical base in order to interpret and understand trends.
The Fall Creative Collections semester is conceived and structured as a comprehensive overview of the Italian leaders in fashion and textile design: professionals, companies, trademarks, events and trade fairs connected with the world of style.
The “project work” semester is structured around courses aimed at introducing the Italian design system, understanding company and marketing dynamics, and analyzing current trends in interior design in terms of language, form and materials. Students will use their analytical skills and theoretical knowledge to develop and complete a hands-on design project as a final semester work.
This One Year (Academic Year) is open to current students, graduates and professionals seeking to define or acquire new skills and perspective. IED is able to provide further information regarding course content, facilities and faculty upon request. IED facilitates students spending a semester or academic year abroad by facilitating credit transfer in collaboration with the student’s home institution.
- Art In Fashion
- An historical and critical analysis of modern and contemporary artistic movements and artists of the 19th and 20th Century: Impressionism, Post Impressionism, Art Nouveau, Expressionism, Cubism, Surrealism. An integral part of the course will be site visits including relevant historical sites, museums and exhibitions.
- Computer Design Applications
- Mastery of Photoshop and Illustrator in order to complete projects. Introduction to the software tools used for the design and the communication of a collection, developing various techniques applied to fashion designing.
- Dressing And Self-decorating Communication
- How “dressing” is a means of individual, social and cultural communication. Clothing and accessories are filters and junctions for the articulation of the dynamic dialogues amongst me, myself, my body, the others, my culture, and my expectations. Analysis will focus on the different communication levels mediated by clothes; communicating myself: work on the different communication levels mediated by clothes; cultural background; Decorating the senses; Keywords and mood boards. Project work will consist of producing a fashion/ jewelry/accessories collection and book project.
- Fashion Drawing
- History Of Fashion And Accessories
- The fashion world and its evolution from the second part of the 19th century to today; Introduction to the most significant rudiments of history of costume from the Italian Renaissance to Napoleon; The relationships between political and social changes and costume development; The fundamental role of fashion designers and accessories designers in these changes, the ability to translate all with their own abilities and understanding of Fashion.
- Introduction To Color
- Discussion of the key issues linked to the use of color. Appraisal of color management methods, considered as a project tool. The Chromatic system; Color physics and chromatic harmony; The perception and the social use of color; Color matching techniques; The reading of Loesche psychological test; Demonstrations and practical exercises on color matching and color board development.
- Design Methodology
- Introduces contemporary trends and designers in order to gain consciousness about one’s identity and positioning vis-a-via fashion. This serves as the foundation for the following course components and projects: research, detection and analysis of a concept; stylistic knowledge of the sector and of trends; idea development; key elements of the moodboard; realization of a book of materials and colors; application of the individual working and presentation of a final book.
- Fashion Pattern Making And Tailoring Techniques
- Covers the basics pattern making and tailoring techniques. Particular emphasis will be given to the womenswear and menswear coordinated collections and their realization. Concepts of pattern cutting and sewing, with a specific glossary of terms necessary to develop the technical ability to make garment patterns and prototypes will be covered. A detailed analysis of the technical terms and design for the creation of the following patterns: skirt, trouser, bodice, corset, dress, t-shirt, sleeves, collars, pockets, buttoning and fastening, zippers and cutting placement.
- Introduction To Knitwear
- The course will enable students to explore the various knitting techniques, to experiment with yarn and color directly on the machines in order to acquire new skills and knowledge. This course introduces the field of knitwear by focusing on the following main topics: Analysis of knitwear design, research and experimentation. Emphasis on use of color, texture and the ability to create new knitwear forms. Learn how to exploit diverse techniques and combinations of techniques, use of yarns to achieve the effect best. In addition students will examine various knitting techniques, experiment with yarn and color directly on the machines in order to gain processual and technical know-how.
- Menswear Collection Project
- Introduction to the fundamentals of designing a coordinated collection of men’s clothing. Research on trends and fabrics for the chosen theme, in order to find the right ideas and the inspiration, which will be developed afterwards. Main topics include: realization of a book, starting from the choice of the concept; the presentation of the moodboards for atmosphere; colors and the inspiration key words and images, focusing then on single theme. The course will conclude with a final presentation of a collection book consisting of: figure designs, details in the style, colors, fabric swatches with the description of the yarns, quality, supplier, art, number etc.
- Personal Design And Portfolio
- Is concerned with improving confidence and ability in drawing and examines a variety of approaches that can be used in fashion illustration. This is the basis for the creation of a final personal portfolio. Main course topics include: research preliminary to mood-boards; technical drawing for fashion and the representation of student’s collection items; study of the main techniques experimented in illustrations; study of the more innovative and experimental illustration techniques (such as media, spry art, collage and performance) aiming at leading every student to the development of a personal drawing language; realization of a personal portfolio that will be submitted for the exam.
- Technical Drawing
- Technology Of Materials
- Textile Pattern Drawing
- This course focuses on how to experiment with textile techniques of construction, embellishment and print so as to become aware of the possibilities of expression by means of the fabric. Main course topics and students works include: Understanding of the characteristics of the materials used; analysis of textile pattern and texture techniques within a chosen trend; development of a visually exciting collection of textile designs relevant to the chosen trend; creation of a stimulating impact exploring creative sense of style developed in various pattern making techniques.
- Womenswear Collection Project
- Introduction to the fundamentals of designing of a coordinated collection of women’s clothing. Research on trends and fabrics for the chosen theme, in order to find the right ideas and the inspiration, which will be developed afterwards. Main topics include: realization of a book, starting from the choice of the concept; The presentation of the moodboards for atmosphere; the colors and the inspiration key words and images, focusing then on single theme. The course concludes with a final presentation of a collection book consisting of: figure designs, details in the style, colors, fabric swatches with the description of the yarns, quality, supplier, art, number etc.
- Art In Fashion
Download here the enrollment documentation for the One Year Course
Courses of Fashion in Milan
Bachelor degree of arts
Three Year Courses IED
|Course of Fashion Marketing Duration: Language: ITA Start date: 21-10-2013 Credits:||ITA||ENG|