Academic year


Safety Spaces for Walkable Cities

+BEING is a modular design conceived by product designer Marina Lopez that aims to transforms the streets of the cities into a playground, changing the amount of parking slots into desirable public spaces.  

Nowadays, 80% of street space is occupied by cars, leaving only 20% available for pedestrians. This leads to a number of safety and mental health problems for citizens.

The issue is accentuated at the gates of educational centers, where many people are crowded in very narrow sidewalks at the entrance and exit of students.

Therefore, the +BEING structure's purpose is to widen the sidewalk, taking up the parking spaces near the school gates. This creates safe and livable public spaces through distinctive urban furniture due to its modular design.