Health Insurance

When arriving in Italy, all foreign students must show that they have some kind of health insurance: without this, they will not obtain their Residence permit.

The procedure changes according to the nationality:

– EU citizens: students must carry with them their European Health Insurnace Card;
– Students from outside EU: they must take out private health insurance to cover their entire stay in Italy;

Registering with the Italian National Health Service In Italy, the National Health Service (SSN) is run through local offices called ASL, which provide information and assistance and are open from 8.30 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. and again from 1.30 to 2.30 p.m., from Monday to Friday.

Students from EU member states should take their European Health Insurance Card to their local ASL, which will issue a health booklet, that normally lasts three months.

Once students have registered with an ASL, they can choose their general practitioner (for free appointments); if necessary, they can also use the hospital service free of charge.

The registration is valid for one solar year (from January to December) and only until the Residence Permit is unexpired (for students coming from a non-EU Country); hence it is preferable to register at the beginning of the year.

After registration is completed, the ASL issues the health booklet; the cost for foreign students is of Euro 149.77 payable at any local Post Office using Form F4.