Student Visa

VISA requirements

Students, coming from non-EU Countries and intending to study at IED (for a period longer than 90 days), need a VISA for STUDY, application for which can be made at the Italian Diplomatic and Consular Representations in the country of residence. All foreigners are required to hold a VISA, even if they are citizens of countries, which do not require transit or short-stays Visas. Foreigners are citizens of any Country that is not member of the European Union and the European Economic Area (EEA).

Students must receive, along with the Visa, a copy of IED Certificate of Enrollment stamped by the Italian Embassy.

If, for any reason, the visa is not granted, students can ask for the reimbursement of the enrollment fee, providing IED with the official letter issued by the Italian Embassy or Consulate, where it is specified the reason why the visa has been refused.

List of Italian Embassies and Consulates in the world and details about the documents required to apply for the visa are available in the official Ministry of Foreign Affairs website at the following LINK

Procedures for students enrolling to BA Courses*

Pre-enrolment at the Italian Diplomatic Authorities


As stated in IED Admission Procedures, in parallel to IED Admission/Enrollment process students are required to go to the local Consulate to Pre-enroll and Validate their Secondary School Certificate. This procedure is mandatory for all students applying to a IED BA Course who require a Student (University) VISA. It is a necessary step to inform Italian authorities of your decision to study at IED – Istituto Europeo di Design.

Please find HERE the form in English and HERE the form in Italian.

Validation of documents 

If you studied in a foreign country or in an international school you also have to validate your Secondary School Certificate through the Declaration of Local Value. This document is issued upon request by the local italian Consulate and it will have to be sent to IED to complete your dossier.

Please find HERE the form in Italian (you can fill it when you are there).

Please take an appointment at the local Italian Consulate (or Italian Institute of Culture or Embassy) at your earliest convenience.

In case you are not graduated yet, you can take the appointment before graduation and submit your documents in a second moment.

In some countries Pre-enrolment MIUR process must be done together with application for a VISA;

Non-European students are advised to contact as soon as possible the Italian Diplomatic Authorities in their countries for further information on the Pre-enrolment, VISA and language issues, as requirements are often subject to change. Since this process can take one month or more, applicants should ensure that all the procedures are started in good time.

Please refer to your Advisor should you need any assistance or visit the MIUR/AFAM website

Please Note: Students who want to Transfer from another University Academy outside of Italy must follow the Transfer Procedure (please see PDF Transfer) and be prepared to submit additional documents at the Italian Diplomatic Authorities in order to obtain the proper VISA.

Students who want to enroll to a University/Institute different from the one indicated at the moment of Pre-enrolment must follow the ‘Re-assignment’ procedure (Please check PDF Re-assignment)

*Not necessary for IED Diploma / Master Professional / Semester / Academic Year / Summer
Chinese Turandot students do not need to comply with this deadline.